Portable Generator Buyer Guide: The Best Generators for Camping
The newest portable generators are lightweight, easily carried, and use gasoline frugally. Best of all, they are quiet enough that you can stand next to them and have a conversation. Even so, they have enough power to make your morning coffee, charge the cell phones, and keep the party lights burning.
Inverter generators are perfect for camping because they are so quiet. Their speed is variable instead of constant, which means that the less power used, the quieter they run.
Some models can run in parallel with a similar size unit by the same manufacturer. This effectively doubles the power capacity. Larger parallel models could easily supply 6000 watts of continuous power—more than enough for RV air conditioners and refrigerators.
Inverter Generators for Camping
Very Quiet Inverter Generator
Generac GP22000i—1700 Running Watts—2200 Starting Watts
- Parallel capable – 3200 watts continuous when paired with a second unit
- Variable engine speed reduces noise
- Power Dial simplifies start, stop, and run operations.
- Three modes of operation
- At-A-Glance Fuel and Power indicators for run time and available capacity
Most Portable Inverter Generator
Briggs & Stratton 3000W Portable Inverter Generator — 2600 Continuous Watts — 3000 Surge Watts
- Control Panel with USB charging port and LCD Display
- Starts up to 15000 BTU RV A/C unit
- Telescoping luggage handle for easy moving
- Never flat wheels
- 9 hour run time on 1.5 gallons of gas at 1/4 Load
Best Inverter Generator for Family Camping
Westinghouse 2000W Digital Inverter Generator – 1800 Continuous Watts — 2000 Surge Watts
- Parallel Capable — up to 3600 watts continuous power
- Two 120 volt receptacles and one 12 volt receptacle.
- Weighs only 43 pounds
- Runs up to 13 hours on one tank of gas
- Quiet Variable Speed Operation
Best Inverter Generator for RV Camping
Champion Inverter 3400W with Wireless Remote — 3100 Running Watts — 3400 Starting Watts
- Parallel Capable – up to 6200 Running watts of power
- RV Ready with TT-30R outlet
- Quiet 58dB operation at 23 feet
- Wireless remote or push button electric starting
- Two 120 volt outlets, 1 12 volt outlet, 12 volt smart charger